New or Used Trailers: What’s the Right Buy
Whether it’s a tool for your business or a piece of equipment to help with one of your hobbies, a trailer is a big purchase. It only makes sense that you’d want to shop around. Trying to decide between new or used trailers is one of the most important choices you need to make.
At TP Trailers, we’re an experienced trailer dealer that helps hundreds of people find the right trailer every year. In today’s blog, we’re highlighting the advantages of both new and used trailers — and giving you everything you need to know before you buy a used trailer.
Keep reading for everything you need to know or reach out to one of our experts to discuss your needs and budget!
What to Know Before You Buy a Used Trailer
At TP Trailers, since we have very high standards for any equipment we carry, we primarily sell new trailers. However, if you are thinking about whether you want to buy a used trailer, these are the key things to know:
- Used Trailers Won’t Have Warranties — Unlike with a used car, the warranty of a used trailer won’t transfer from its original owner. This can be important since some trailer brands come with strong warranties, but they will be void when the title is transferred.
- A Used Trailer Will Be Bought As-Is — When you’re buying a used trailer, you’re agreeing to buy it in its current condition. This is important to keep in mind since trailers have often been used hard by the original owner.
Learn more about the downsides of cheap trailers.
- Look out for Bad Brakes, Tires, or Axles — Any of these issues are enough of a hassle and expense that you are better off moving on. Before you buy a used trailer, it’s good to ask about the condition of these key parts.
- Scams Are Plentiful (Especially Online) — Unfortunately, used trailers seem to attract a large number of scammers, particularly on platforms like Craigslist. We have seen numerous cases where the seller didn’t have the title so they couldn’t legally transfer it — or other cases where a scammer accepted payment and there was no trailer. Be on the lookout for too-good-to-be-true pricing and elaborate stories that explain why it’s so cheap.
- There Are Good Used Trailers — While there is a lot to watch out for when you go to buy a used trailer, if you can find one, you really can get a good deal. A valid inspection sticker (where applicable) could be an indication of the condition of the trailer.
- Buy It from a Dealer — When you buy from a reputable dealer, you can feel confident that you’re buying a higher quality option. Ultimately, if a dealer is selling it, it does mean it’s not a scam, and when you work with a professional, you have some support. Oftentimes when selling a used option, we can inspect it and tell you what it will cost to pass inspection or be roadworthy.
Get your PA trailer inspection done here.
While there is a lot to know about — and a lot of pitfalls around — buying a used trailer, the price can make it worth looking into for some buyers. Reach out today to ask about our current used inventory!
The Advantages of Buying New
While getting a bargain can be necessary for new businesses or people with tight budgets, if you can, you should buy a new trailer over a used one.
There are several key factors that cause us to recommend buying new whenever possible:
- You Get the Warranty — Many top trailer brands come with standout warranties. When you buy new, you have that warranty backing you in case something malfunctions.
- Can Be Customized to Your New Needs — When you buy new, you can make sure it is the perfect match for all of the different work you need it to perform, thanks to the numerous custom options.
- Will Last Longer with Less Maintenance — While a new trailer will have a higher upfront cost, over the course of owning it, it’ll likely cost you less over the long run.
Do you need trailer insurance? Find out!
Your Headquarters for New or Used Trailers
At TP Trailers & Truck Equipment, we’re a leading dealer for both new and used trailers. We work with business owners and hobbyists to find the trailer that is right for their truck and their budget. Whether you want to buy a used or a new trailer, we can help with our large inventory and our years of experience.