Downsides of Cheap Trailers
Whether you’re buying it for your business or your hobby, you need a trailer that works hard. Of course, a good bargain is always tough to pass up — so it’s common to see cheap trailers for sale. However, those trailers are cheap for a reason, and that’s what we’re exploring in today’s blog.
At TP Trailers & Truck Equipment, we’ve been in the trailer business for decades. In that time, we’ve witnessed a pretty essential truth: when it comes to trailers, you get what you pay for. We’re breaking down some of the most common issues with budget trailers.
Let’s dig in — and if you’re ready to shop for an elite-quality trailer, see all your options right here.
Key Problems We See with Budget Trailers
Rather than naming any particular brands, we’re highlighting the all-too-common traits and problems that make these budget trailers a bad investment:
- Water Leakage — Keeping your cargo dry is one of the key advantages of an enclosed trailer. However, one of the most common problems we see from cheap trailers is that they are not well-built and are susceptible to water leaks from the roof, the sides, and underneath the trailer. Not only will this water infiltration damage your cargo, but it can cause the trailer itself to rot out and fall apart.
- Panels Fly Off — This problem not only undermines your trailer’s value, but it puts other drivers at risk. Since the construction process of these budget trailers is less thorough and tends to be rushed, a lot more can go wrong. In some cases, the siding panels of your trailer can fly off when driving at highway speeds — which is a danger for everyone on the road around you.
- Wiring Issues — If corners were cut during the building of a cheap trailer, the wiring may fail or malfunction. This is something you’ll have to pay to repair if you want to keep using your trailer.
- Faulty Trailer Frame — Like the frame on a car, the frame of a trailer does an important job. A frame protects the integrity of the trailer and is the foundation that the rest of the trailer is built on. If the trailer frame is built incorrectly, your trailer will be hard to use and won’t last very long.
- Rust Issues — Part of securing that cheap trailer price means cutting serious corners during construction. Oftentimes, the anti-rust paint is neglected from key areas of the trailer, which leaves those weak spots vulnerable to rusting.
- False Advertising on Warranties — Since solid warranties are a key way to sell a product, these budget trailers often pretend to offer robust warranties — and then NEVER honor them. We’ve heard of manufacturers dodging customers, claiming you misused their equipment, changing their name, and dozens of other tactics to ensure they don’t have to pay up.
One of the best ways to make sure you get a high-quality trailer at a fair price is to work with a reputable trailer dealer that can make a recommendation for the best trailer for your budget. Our experts are ready to help you find a trailer that matches your budget without every settling for poor performance.
Important Info about Buying Used Trailers on Social Media
While the primary purpose of this blog is to highlight issues with budget trailer brands, we do want to address the potential pitfalls of buying a trailer from a stranger on social media. It’s fairly common to see people selling used trailers with good brands on social media. While there are some great deals to be had, there are a few issues to be aware of:
- You Can’t Ensure the Quality — When you buy from a reputable trailer dealer, you can trust that you’re getting a piece of equipment that’s in great shape. When you buy from a private party, however, they might not know how to find the issues or they might not tell you about them, just so they can make the sale.
- It Might be a Scam — When buying anything online, there is always the risk of a scam. There have been a few trailer scams circulating recently promising different high-quality trailers at unbeatable prices.
- It Might be Inconvenient — Buying from a private party can make things like transferring the title and the warranty a hassle.
Shop Our Selection of Quality Trailers for Sale
While you don’t want to buy a bottom-of-the-barrel cheap trailer, you can still find a trailer that meets your needs for a price that meets your budget.
Work with the experts at TP Trailers to find the right trailer to buy and have total confidence doing it. Having an expert trailer salesperson available to help all of our potential customers is just one of the ways we stand out compared to the competition.
If you’d rather take a look in person, we encourage you to visit our showroom to see our wide selection of options — and to talk to our knowledgeable team. Contact us today to get started!